[homes] shares staying in share list

Goetz Rieger goetz.rieger at suse.de
Mon Jan 21 05:43:39 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I have a problem with the [homes] share. I have a Samba 2.2.2 PDC with W2K SP2 clients. Every user has a home directory (not the Linux home dirs), which is mapped as z: during login to the domain.

When the user logs out and another user logs in, the home-share of the old user is staying in the share list of the PDC in the network neighborhood section of the Explorer. When a third user logs in, the process continues, so after a while there are shares for every user who has logged in.

When I try to access such an usernamed share, I get the contents of the home-dir of the actual logged in user. So far at least no security problem occurs, but it´s disturbing never the less, especially for the normal user.

I have tried to get to the problem. I installed a Samba Server and a NT4 SP5 Wks in a workgroup environment. Here I configured the standard Linux home as the [homes] share. I monitored the connection with smbstatus -B. The share list in the Explorer showed the same behavior as described above, with the exception that after log out-log in as another user, I was able to access and read the home share of the previous user, thanks to the standard permissions.

smbstatus showed that most of the time (but not always) the smb connections are staying open after log out.

What can I do about that? Have I missed something obvious? Every help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a excerpt from the PDC smb.conf

---------
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

[homes]
   path = /data/fileserv/user/%U
   comment = home-directory
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

[profiles]
   path = /data/system/samba/profiles
   writeable = yes
   browseable = yes
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700
-------

Best Regards,
Goetz
--
Goetz Rieger                     Phone: +49 2241 92917-39
SuSE Linux Solutions AG          Fax:            314599