Problems with Samba, INIT during boot, respawning too fast...

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Jan 21 04:38:06 GMT 2002

I do not know anything about Linux-PPC.
Regarding samba and getting help off this list:
This is a plain vanilla/generic list. I suspect most of the experienced
users have downloaded the latest source files and compiled those themselves.
This is not hard. Just be sure to include --with-smbmount in your configure
statement.

configure --with-smbmount
make
make install

All your binaries, log files, smb.conf files, pid files,etc, will be in
the directory: /usr/local/samba

This appears to be the same place your current binaries are. This is
convenient. You might want to mv your current /usr/local/samba directory out
of harm's way before you install the new binaries.

You are currently starting samba with inetd. I just don't know how swat
interacts with inetd when you use swat to restart samba. (Note: You MUST
run swat from inetd.) It would remove one layer of complexity to start smbd
and nmbd as stand alone daemons.

I don't know where the startup scripts go in your version of linux. They
are in /etc/rc.d/initd/ in my version.  There are links to these scripts
in the directories: /etc/rc./rc3.d and so on, which control which scripts
are run with start and stop parameters as you switch run levels. These
system startup scripts are beyond this email message.

You can put this samba startup script anywhere, and start, reload, and
stop samba manually with it.  If you know nothing about startup scripts,
the script rc.local will always run at boot time. It could be put there.

SO, I would comment out the lines in inetd.conf which refer to smbd and
nmbd, and go the startup script route. Make sure you restart inetd after you
make these changes.

Joel