How to set Samba log file names.

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Jan 20 19:27:02 GMT 2002

Edit the source files and recompile.

OR

You could edit the binary.  There is only one occurrence of log.smbd
in the binary smbd. Use vi -b or some other editor to fix that up.
Ditto, nmbd.  I have found this works well in other programs, like
netscape. Just make sure you don't add or delete any bytes. This will
be the easiest way, most likely.

OR

You could make log.smbd a symbolic link pointing to smbd.log. To get the
offensive names out of sight, you could use the -l option (see smbd -h
and nmbd -h) to change the base name for the log directory to some place
where you will never have to see them.

Joel