"share modes" removed? Why?

Alexey Lobanov aal at cpr.spb.ru
Sun Jan 20 04:38:02 GMT 2002

Hello.

As far as I can see, among the other changes the 2.2.2 version has lost "share modes"
parameter. Seems, it creates some DoS-type problems for public read-only shares: anyone
can set "DENY_ALL" lock on a read-only public file and prevent other from using it. Is it
right?

Is there other way to prohibit "monopolistic" open of shared read-only files? Surely,
"writable=no, locking=no" does not help. The absence of "write" right on a file does not
help too. I have this problem in practice, not in theory.

Alexey