Max file sizes

Don Harvie don.harvie at usa.net
Sat Jan 19 21:18:02 GMT 2002

Hi All,

I hoping someone has encountered the following limitation before and can
tell me where the limitation comes from:

I'm backing up a RH62 based linux box to a NTFS file system on a NT4
sp6a workstation using smbmount from the linux box. This has worked fine
up until recently.

I use tar to do a full backup of linux box.

The tar file is truncated at exactly 1 byte less than 2GB. (This also
occurs when I use gzip to compress the tar file as well). There appear
to be no error messages generated anywhere by tar, samba logs, syslog or
the NT event log.

My thoughts are that it seems like some kind of file system limitation
and I must admit that I suspect NTFS.

I'm using samba 2.2.2 configured as a PDC, (works fine).

At the moment I'm re-writing the backup script to tar each file system
separately but this is only a short term fix.

Thanks,
Don Harvie				  Ph +61 2 9882 5963
Network & Firewall Engineer,		  Fax +61 2 9882 5993
Telstra Enterprise Services Pty Limited	  Mob +61 417 411 427
Level 3, 112 Talavera Rd		  Email Don_Harvie at EnterpriseServices.com.au
North Ryde NSW 2113		                don.harvie at usa.net  (personal)
Australia