Unix Password Sync

Beau Sapach beau.sapach at ualberta.ca
Sat Jan 19 17:14:03 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

I've installed Samba on a Sparc/Solaris 8 system from the package file
obtained from sunfreeware.com (samba version 2.2.2).  I can't seem to get
the unix password sync working.  This machine is just using local passwd and
shadow files for logins, and the passwd program is where it's supposed to
be.  I've attached my smb.conf file [smbconf.txt]. Running smbpasswd changes
the Samba password for the user no-problem but the unix password doesn't get
changed.  I've also tried using my own shell script in place of the
/usr/bin/passwd to echo the %u variable into a file.  The script was just
this:

#!/bin/sh
echo $1 >> /home/beau/junk/smbtest.file

As far as I understand it this should echo the username of the account I am
trying to set the password for with smbpasswd into the file smbtest.file,
but the file remains empty. Does this mean anything????  Advice anyone?
Anyway, have a look at my conf file if you like.

Cheers,
Beau