win98-samba long filenames won't execute

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Jan 19 07:12:06 GMT 2002

I don't store windows programs on my samba server to run on windows
clients, but, I just transferred netscape.exe from a windows box to
netscapealongname.exe on a samba server. Clicking on it from windows
ran the program (which crashed when it couldn't find a required dll,
not surprising).

: can also run windows programs with a similar long file name stored on
another windows machine, using samba as the file sharing mechanism.

So, I suspect that you have a local configuration problem.

Joel