LDAP & Samba

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Sat Jan 19 06:55:02 GMT 2002

Hi,
> I am seriously considering switching over my authentication system from the
Go for it!

> Will the schema file used by Samba also support UNIX users attempting to
> authenticate? In other words, can I use the same LDAP server to authenticate
> both Windows and UNIX users? I know I can setup Linux to authenticate
Yes. The howtos for samba-tng describes how to to this. Check:
www.samba-tng/docs.html for an overview. Also, I think there's some in the howto
that follows the src.

Basic message: Use the nss/pam-ldap tools from padl.com. RH makes this very easy
to set up.

> this will work, what about Solaris? IRIX? I also have these systems, and I
> would like to have them authenticate against my LDAP database, once setup,
> as well.
If they support pam, you should be fine.

> Another question: will the Samba LDAP server setup also support being able
> to be accessed from a program like Outlook Express, for the retrival of
> e-mail addresses, etc?
Yes, but it's not very efficient.

Another tip: www.bayour.com for an explanation of SASL.

Tarjei