Samba/hwclock -- Samba Time Server Not Right

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Jan 19 03:56:02 GMT 2002

David Rankin wrote:

> Andrew,
>
>     Since I got your message I've dived back into my mess with Samba
> serving the wrong time. I'm pulling my hair out. Look at the following.
> It doesn't make sense to me at all : (

I've looked at the snif you sent me.  Your Samba is convinced it is in
GMT.  Looking a the code, this can occur if you system does't supply a
gmtime() call or your system really thinks its in GMT.  It tells the
client this - the client should actually be able to say 'well i'm not
gmt, so I'll add/subtract....' but in any case we can't expect too much
of MS :-)

I'm wondering if Samba is starting before the timezone is set...

Can you kill off samba, and manually start it with 'smbd -D&& nmbd -D'
(at a root prompt).

> Ok, so what have I learned?
>
>     (1)    It appears to me that Samba serves time based upon the system
> clock;
>     (2)    Regardless of what the tz setting is, Samba is going to serve
> the 'actual' time stored in the system clock regardless of the tz info;

No, regardless of the time zone, samba thinks its in utc.  Does
'gmtime()' work/exist on your system?  (Write a small C proggy to
test).  That failing will set GMT without the slightest mention in the
logs.

>     (3)    As a result/consequence of (2) above, Samba ignores the tz
> setting when serving time; and
>     (4)    All of you who are telling me that you have your server
> hardware clock and system clock set to UTC and are relying on the tz
> setting to have Samba serve the correct time to your windows clients ---
> I WANT TO KNOW HOW IN THE HECK YOU ARE DOING IT!!!!
>
> In the immortalized words of Tom Hanks: "That's about all I have to say
> about that."
>
> I hope this is helpful, at least somewhat thorough with regard to the
> problem I am experiencing. And I really hope that someone smarter than I
> can point out to me, diplomatically of course, where I have my "CRI."

I would rather like to get to the bottom of this some day...

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net