About 'logon home'

Gunther Hess ghess at elmos.de
Fri Jan 18 10:07:05 GMT 2002

Hi Guy,
       this behaviour is a real feature not a bug, if you
run a larger site with several fileservers. But you can
change this:

;  disable NIS-based server selection -> %N mapped to this server.
   nis homedir             = false
;  homedir map             = auto.pchome

;  W95, WfW use logon home other's use logon path
;  all use the sharename as Home-Directory
   logon drive          = Z:
   logon home           = \\%N\%U\profiles\%a
   logon path           = \\%N\%U\profiles\%a

You can easily replace %N by servernames either. This setup is on my home-network, with
a single server, which is also the DC. At my company i use a NIS-Map to distribute
load between the servers. In I dislike the desktop-stuff in the top of my Unix-Home,
thus i added the profiles subdirectory. My colleague from PC-Support asked for
Windows-Architecture dependant profiles, thus I added the %a. I am not using the
standard auto.home map, since i have some special Users, that lived in i Novell-Network
previously, and have their old Novell-Home withe the PC-Files different from their
Unix-Home, thus i am running a few (virtual) servers, that offer the old Novell-
Directories as the [homes]-Share.

Hope that helps.
Anayone out there to comment on this setup?

Regards
Gunther