PDC & Samba File Server

Guy Roussin guy.roussin at teledetection.fr
Fri Jan 18 09:48:43 GMT 2002

Marco Zaino wrote:

> I have four file server that share users home directory in NFS under
> Solaris 8. In laboratory there are a lot of Solaris machine and Windows
> 2000 SP2. All the users profiles actually are loaded from an only samba
> server as "security = domain". So I need to install four samba file server
> and an authentication server (this last actually already installed).
> All the Win2K workstation are in same samba domain.
>
> I've searched a lot but I haven't found a step-to-step to do this.
>
> I tried to put a "logon path = \\fileserver1\%U\.profile.%a" in global
> section and it run but I need to specify also other three file server
> whith a hundred of users for server.
>
> Is necessary to use the "nis homedir" and "homedir map"? If yes how can I
> use these?
Yes, here an extract of the smb.conf of my PDC (solaris 2.8)

logon script = %U.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
logon drive = H:
domain logons = Yes
homedir map = auto_home.org_dir
NIS homedir = Yes

You must configure/compile samba 2.2.3pre (cvs version) with theses options :
./configure --with-automount --with-nisplus-home

Guy Roussin