Samba doesn't like dynamic ip addresses.

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Fri Jan 18 05:58:08 GMT 2002

What you have is not a deficiency of samba, more a deficiency of windows
and your isp.  Your ISP doesn't know to send your linux box's ip as the
wins server, you may be able to enter it manually.  Windows will take the
idea of it's name server as given (the isp's name server) and therefore
will not know "SERVER"'s IP address.