samba and domain problems

Craig Kelley ink at inconnu.isu.edu
Thu Jan 17 21:40:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Tarko Tikan wrote:

> hello!
>
> i have got totally mystic situation here :P redhat 6.2, all redhat
> updates, 2.2.20 kernel, samba 2.2.1a / 2.2.2 both tested from rpm &
> src rpm. what is the problem - today, early morning, samba stopped to
> answer domain logon requests. nothing works. i have spent 7 hours
> today debugging it and no use, only way is to put all machinest into
> hosts/lmhosts file, then it works. really, i can't find a thing that
> is broken, wins maybe, as i have been using it successfully for 3
> months until today :(
>
> and, this really looks like a global problem as i know already 2
> persons having same trouble, running redhat 6.2 and freebsd 4.4

Are you certain that there isn't another Windows NT/2k/XP or Samba box on
the network that is hijacking domain logins?  This kind of crap happens
when computers "elect" their servers; I've seen it happen many times --
usually it's the cluless geek that decided to play with their Windows
Server Warez Pro (8 User Licenses).  The way to solve it is WINS servers
in the DCHP system; and the WINS servers have static mappings for your
servers (this isn't a democracy!)

--
It is financially more expensive to go to prison than to attend Harvard.
Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai at isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink at inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block