can't get samba on solaris 8 box to join win2k domain

Lightfoot.Michael Lightfoot.Michael at comcare.gov.au
Thu Jan 17 21:14:20 GMT 2002

> > What OS and version are you using?
>
> Solaris 2.8, like the subject line says...

New spectacles have been ordered.  :-)

> > What is in your private directory (where the secrets file should be
> > created?)
>
> Just the secrets file (secrets.tdb)

Hmmm.  You got an error, but the secrets file was there.  Not sure whether
that is significant or not.

> I really do appreciate you taking the time to try and help me
> out, btw. I
> apologize for not having answers on hand, but this is a
> problem where a
> lot of what I'm dealing with is in the metaphorical black
> box. (It's frustrating.)

Know what you mean, and it isn't helped when the Win2k bloke has a rather
high opinion of himself (arrogance of youth, BillG can do no wrong and all
that.)  I probably would have had my problem solved several days earlier if
he had been willing to take that tiny step out of his expertise area and
towards mine.  Instead I had to try and enter his, not really what I wanted
to have to do - I got enough Slowaris troubles to keep me busy.  :-)