printer access problems

Akop Pogosian akopps at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jan 17 18:46:02 GMT 2002

For some reason, one of our Win2k Pro users has problems listing
printer queues.  When the user clicks on the printer icon in the
printers tab, a message is displayed "access denied" and an empty job
listing window pop up. However, the user is still able to print.  On
the other hand, she has no problems accessing her home drive from the
same samba server. I was not able to reproduce this problem using my
Win2k PC.

Our setup is the following

* passwords are encrypted
* security = user
* samba version is 2.2.2 on a Solaris 2.6 server.
* this problem happens whether or not I add "guest=ok" in the printer's
  section of smb.conf
* She is able to view the queue of at least one of the printers which is
  strange considering that  the printers are setup identically on the
  server.
* despite of not being able to list the print jobs, she can still
  print on a that printer.
* The printing system is the default SysV.
* It seems that this problem started happening after upgrade from samba
  2.0.7 to 2.2.2

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

-akop