Locking prevents install on Slackware

Wu, Jeffrey jwu at claritasconsulting.com
Thu Jan 17 12:43:04 GMT 2002

Thanks to Peter and Urban for their comments.  The configure script ran
after installation of a number of development oriented packages and no
longer complained about lack of locking support.  This also cleared up
problems with installation of Apache on a Zipslack version of Slackware
8.  I hope this proves helpful to others.

However, the make for Samba does not seem to run to completion and locks
up the system.  The symptom is that any tty session becomes
non-responsive for dozens of minutes to hours.  Some never regain
foreground control and we are forced to reboot the system.

Make ran through until it was compiling in the "lib" directory, with the
last files being util_str.c, util_sid.c and util_unistr.c.  There is
plenty of free disk space and I am sure the CPU is racing as I cannot
even get a "ps" to return output HOURS after issuing the command at a
prompt.  Typing into other session will echo characters minutes to hours
after they are typed.

Does anyone have any sage advice?  Thanks in advance.