smbpasswd and machine accounts

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 10:00:22 GMT 2002

While investigating my failure to get W2k to work with a SAMBA 2.2.2 PDC I have
found the following, which looks like a bug:

"smbpasswd -a -m machine" adds an entry to private/smbpasswd which it incorrect.
The machine name part has the dollar sign appended, which is to be expected, but the
UID field is a copy of the GID field from /etc/passwd instead of the UID!

This is SAMBA 2.2.2 running under IRIX.  I have tried editing private/smbpasswd to
correct the error, but that has not solved my W2k/SAMBA problem.  Could the bug
which mis-reads /etc/passwd when adding the machine account also be causing that?

Phil.