Users get network timeout errors

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Thu Jan 17 08:20:20 GMT 2002

At 10:53 AM 1/17/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Ken,
>
>Thank you for your response.  I have managed to get one computer
>authenticated through samba so far...I read in the archives where some
>people had experienced a similar problem that they could eventually get in
>after repeatedly trying the connection.  It worked after about 30 minutes
>of clicking and waiting on one computer.  All others are still timing out

>I don't have a WINS server in place at the moment...thought it would be
>overkill for the 15 or so users that I have.  Would you suggest that I add
>one?

I would, a WINS server is almost zero maintainance, unlike DNS, and very
easy to set up.  I am a sysadmin for a network with 6 Client PCs + 1 Mac
and I use WINS, it really causes things to go smoothly.  A friend of mine
would disagree and say that you should use the hosts and lmhosts files on
all the machines (yes they do exist on NT and 9x), but my advice would be
to use WINS

>I am not very familiar with xinetd how would I go about checking to see
>what it is blocking?

Can't help much with that, but Mandrake uses xinetd, so maybe there's some
docs on their site.

>Thank you very much,
>James Simons

Hope this helps