--with-ldapsam without ldap server?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jan 17 07:09:08 GMT 2002

I have been compiling samba rpms (samba_2_2 cvs and 3.0-alphas) for
Mandrake (http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba), and we are
investigating the possibility of including ldap support (via
--with-ldapsam). However, it seems samba then has problems running as a
PDC without an ldap server. I tried to add a user to samba (via
smbpasswd), and it failed with an error relating to not being able to
contact the ldap server. I have not put any ldap settings into smb.conf.

All of this has worked with samba 2.2.2 and samba-3.0-alpha without
using --with-ldapsam.

Can someone confirm whether this can or cannot be fixed via
configuration options, and whether it is considered a bug or not?

Regards,
Buchan

P.S. Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to using domain groups
in our samba-controlled domain.
Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202