WIN XP and SAMBA - Newbie here

Scott Svendsen svendsse at clarkson.edu
Wed Jan 16 18:01:04 GMT 2002

Ok been working on this for 2 days and have had little luck.

I have two boxes OPTIPLEX (XP) and DHCPPC1 (LINUX)

 From both machines I can ping one another both by IP and NAME.

I can print from my linux box to windows box which has a printer on it.

 From XP I can:

net view /DOMAIN:Mshome     does show \\DHCPPC1

net view \\DHCPPC1  gives two errors (swtiches back and forth)
        1.  path not located
         2.  Service on remote machine not

 From network neighborhood I can see this linux machine but when I
double click on it says the same 2 errors above.

I went through the Diagnostics.txt and ran through the 11 scenarios.
 The LINUX side looks setup 100% and passed all the tests.

The test to use net view \\DHCPPC1 failed, but their solutions DID NOT
help me.

I tired chaning Windows XP to use plain text password
I added the RequireSignorSeal = dword:0x00000000

My smb.conf file is:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = FUNINC
        netbios name = BLACK
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        password level = 6
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

Also in mylog.nmbd I have this:

Samba name server LINUX is now a local master browserfor workgroup
MSHOME on subnet 192.168.0.2  - does that seem right?

Last thing: If my XP box has a shared folder MP3, from linux how can I
access that share?

Unfortunally if I can not resolve both these issues I must switch back
to XP.

Thanks