Samba/HP-UX question.

Ladner, Eric (Eric.Ladner) Eric.Ladner at chevrontexaco.com
Wed Jan 16 13:52:03 GMT 2002

Couple of questinos.. I've poked around the web a bit and the Samba
documentation and haven't really found a good answer.

Given an HP-UX 11.0 system and the latest 2.X Samba distro, here's what I'm
trying to do:

Use Samba (possibly with winbind?) functionality to allow authentication via
a NT PDC.

The problem I'm having visualizing is how that authentication happens.  At
the system level, all of these things go through getpwent (or the
secure/shadow version of that call).  How exaclty can that call be hijacked
by Samba and redirected to an NT domain for authentication?

The basic problem is that we have an application (call it X) that requires a
LOT of users and concequently a LOT of password changes, corporate IT
password standards that the application dosn't support, etc.. It's messy.

What we'd like to see is that the username/password that the user types in
to the application interface is authenticated via a PDC rather than the
/etc/passwd file.

This application does NOT use PAM.  This I think has been my roadblock up to
now.

Does the getpwent code have flexibility?  I.e. can something be put in
resolv.conf to allow for alternate resolution for passwords?  Did I miss a
document somewhere?

Sorry for the rambling email, but I'm not sure where to start at the moment.

Thanks,

Eric Ladner
ChevronTexaco