Login fails - Win95 vs. NT4 PDC using domain=server and winbind

Sean Trammell strammell at siumed.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:20:09 GMT 2002

I had a similar problem with windows 95 osr2 clients accessing samba
shares during a logon script.  During the logon script, mapping to only
the samba shares fail.  After logon, everything works fine.  I also use
winbind against an NT4 SP6a PDC.  This update for Windows 95 resolved
the issue for my remaining 95 clients:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUCritical/fileacc/Default.asp

It's the 'November 12, 1999' security update.  Applying that fix to the
affected 95 computer works for me, I have no idea why based on the
description that Microsoft gives though...

-Sean

Ian Scott wrote:

> OK, following up on my previous email about this subject.
>
> Quoting Scheufen Stephan <S.Scheufen at ebv.com>:
>
> > my problem is the following:
> > if the win95 clients are logging on to the PDC and the login script
> > wants to mount the NAS device sharing they get a "enter
> > password"-question. Then Win98se machines logging on to the same PDC are
> > not getting the question...(wondering!)...they are successfully
> > authenticated and connected to the NAS.
>
> To recap, I have this same problem.  We have a network of about 40-50 clients,
> running a mix of Win95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, NT4 Workstation, 2k Pro, and XP Pro.
> Our Samba configuration uses winbind and security=server to authenticate with
> our PDC, which is running NT4 Server with SP6.  The same problem happens with
> both Samba 2.2.2 and 2.2.3pre from CVS.
-snip-