DOS app cannot print to file on mapped samba share

Chris clinnet at aidusa.com
Wed Jan 16 10:17:05 GMT 2002

I'm running Samba 2.2.1a on SuSE Linux 7.3 (the default Samba packaged with
SuSE).

I have set up a share in the smb.conf file as follows:

[email]
	path = /path/to/share
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	guest ok = Yes
	locking = No

The Linux permissions include all permissions to everyone (aka a public
storage folder).

Using Windows Explorer, I can copy file to and from the share and delete
them with no problem.  My intention is to use this share as temporary
holding space for anyone who prints documents to a file from our DOS app
called AccPac Plus for DOS (www.accpac.com, it is accounting software).

My problem occurs when I try to print, for example, a sales order to a file
on the samba share.  I get the error message in the app "Cannot open print
file."

The oddity is that the file is created on the share, however, the file is
empty.  The next part I don't understand at all.  As long as the file
exists, though it is empty, I can print out the sales order a second time
to the same named file successfully.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanx