Speeding up file tranfer

Ivan Guštin ivan at elin.hr
Wed Jan 16 10:13:06 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have Linux+Samba server in one LAN. Clients are mostly DOS. They are using
samo DOS application which sometimes makes backups of main database files in
another directory. The size of these files is 70+ MB. Application uses DOS
COPY command, so that operation takes very long time (around 5 minutes).

When I try to copy with "cp file1 file2" it takes just 25 seconds. I am
looking for any posibility of speeding up this file transfer.

First of all, have anybody any suggestions of configuring Samba to have
better file tranfer? I read all suggestions in "Using Samba" book, but I
don't get any major improvement.

These backup file transfer is internal and "must be" in DOS application and
I cannot make any change to use another way for file copying, but I am
thinking to "fake" DOS COPY command to lounch "cp" command on server localy.

Have anybody any such experiences? Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Bye,
Ivan Gustin, ivan at elin.hr
ELIN Elektronika i informatika, http://www.elin.hr