special characters handling with smbtar/smbclient

Pierre Volcke volcke at obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Jan 16 08:38:04 GMT 2002

hi,

I use Samba2.2.2 + Amanda 2.4.2p2 to backup NT boxes.

I had some troubles when backing up files
whose name includes specific french chars,
that is, accents.

the error message is :

? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file <filename>

After scanning through a few mail archives,
it seems that the trouble comes from "smbclient"
or its wrapper "smbtar", with Samba 2.2.2 -
the problem seemed not to occur in the 2.2.0 release.

"client codepage" is set to 850 (Latin1),
but I don't have any "valid chars" set yet.

Is it really a bug, or did I miss something
into the smb.conf file?

If this is a bug, is there any patch somewhere?

thanks
Pierre

Laboratoire de Planetologie de Grenoble
Bat D de Physique - BP53