Username password not recognized

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Jan 15 13:39:04 GMT 2002

Hi Fred,
That's odd about smbpasswd -a  NOT prompting for a password.
Two things:
1. when you are doing all of this, make sure you are logged in as root, not
just 'su'ed to root.
2. when you join the domain from your win2k client, you need to do so as
root ,so you will also have to add root with an appropriate password to your
smbpasswd file.
3. make sure that the smbpasswd file you are checking to verify the
existence of your root and joeblow user is the smbpasswd file that samba is
using:  run testparm and see where it puts it...

Hope this helps,
Don