Losing network drives (Windows 2000)

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at usna.navy.mil
Tue Jan 15 12:14:07 GMT 2002

Hi:

We are running Samba on an SGI server that is a member of a
Windows 2000 domain.  The "password server" parameter in smb.conf
is set to the Windows 2000 server - users are authenticated against
the Windows 2000 server, NOT the Samba server.

Each user's UNIX home directory is mapped to the Windows 2000 PC when
the user logs in.  This is done via a login script on the Windows 2000
server.  However, just today we noticed that users were logging in
but their network drives (shared via Samba from the SGI server) were
NOT mapping to the PC.

Drives were mapping just fine last week.

Another problem - the drive would map when the user logged in, but
then "disappear".  The drive was there upon login, the user saved
files to it, but later on in the session the drive disappeared!
We were able to go to the command prompt and re-map the drive
immediately with the "net use" command.

Has anyone else had this problem?   Does it have anything to do
with the "max connections" parameter?  I noticed this is set to
"40" under the homes share...

Please send any info you have to "lisa at usna.navy.mil".

Thanks for your help!