Strange problem

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Tue Jan 15 10:32:04 GMT 2002

Windows is not case sensitive, that means, to Windows, mail and Mail
are both exactly the same folder.  For compatability reasons, by
default, Samba is not case sensitive. Therefore, when receiving a
request for directory Mail or mail, Samba chooses whichever folder it
finds that first matches any case of mail. (As to why the order the
directories are scanned changed, I cannot comment.) There are options
to make Samba case sensitive, but this is not advisable, since it will
break many Windows programs that do not expect it. (For example, a
program that saves its configuration as something.ini then later tries
to open it as SOMETHING.INI.)

To make a long story short, the answer to your question is "don't do
it." Remain the way you are with mail and email directories.