Win98 W2K and Samba PDC

Manfred Heubach heubach at heubach-edv.de
Tue Jan 15 10:17:05 GMT 2002

Thank you,

it has something to do with the PAM settings indeed. I also think this issue has been on the list some time ago. I will search the archive...

After checking the logfiles I saw the following behaviour:

Windows 98 Domain Logon succeeds. Username is passed in lowercase.
Now trying to access a W2K share reauthentication is done (Windows 98 does not use tokens) with the username in uppercase. The underlying PAM cannot find any corresponding user because in passwd it's all lowercase and fails. I solved this problem now by setting up the same user a second time in uppercase and it works. This is of course only a workaround. But I have only this single user with Windows 98 so this workaround is no problem.

Regards
Manfred