Username password not recognized

Fred G Guiliano bassist1965 at home.com
Tue Jan 15 10:15:06 GMT 2002

Can anyone help? I'm trying to setup Samba as a PDC. I'm running Samba 2.2.2. I have a Win98 box and a W2K laptop w/SP2. On the win98 box, if I go to network neighborhood and do a browse, I do not see the samba box. When I do smbclient -L "servername", it gives me a list of all the pc's that the samba server can see. It can see both my win98 and w2k box. If I do a net use d: \\ machine name\sharename$ on the win98 box, it tells me the password is incorrect. On the w2k pc, if I browse network neighborhood, I can see the samba box. If I click on the samba pc, it opens up and I can see the shares that I've created. When I try to join the domain on the w2k pc, the username and password box to join the domain appears. I enter my linux username and password (I've also tried root) and it does not recognize it. I've done the following so far:

root# /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "machine nickname" -s /bin/false machine_name$

root# passwd -l machine_name$

root# smbpasswd -a -m machine_name

To add a user, I've been following this format:

adduser -g users -c 'Joe Blow' -s /bin/false -n joeblow

smbpasswd -a joeblow

After doing the above, the howto's tell me that I should be prompted for a password for joeblow but it never does.

Am I missing something?

- Fred