Strange problem

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Tue Jan 15 10:06:19 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 10:02, Paul Crittenden wrote:
> Good morning all,
> I ran into something last evening I had never seen before and wonder if any
> of you had. We have a user who had two folders with similar names in his
> share. One was mail and the Mail. Until yesterday he was able to save stuff
> in Mail and then retrieve it. However, yesterday something strange
> happened. The contents of both mail Mail were the same, at least on the PC
> side. When I went into the UNIX side and looked at things the contents were
> different. What I did to fix the problem was to move the folder called Mail
> to one called email and then he could see the files he had saved
> previously. I hope this makes sense and can anyone explain why this
> happened. He has been using the previous setup for several months with no
> problems.
> Thanks,

I think this is a good example of how Windows and Unix treat cases
differently.  Under Windows filenames are treated in a case-insesitive
fashion so names like "NewFiles" and "newfiles" are considered equal
(but cases are preserved).  This is not the case in Linux/Unix so files
(or directories for that matter) named "NewFiles" and "newfiles" are two
separate entities.

This is why in your situation the folders "mail" and "Mail" are somehow
mixed up in Windows, which I think is a normal behavior.

Kohei