oplock problems with Version 2.2.2

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Jan 15 09:17:03 GMT 2002

Thomas Schulz wrote:
> I installed the new Samba on Sunday.  At that time all the PCs were turned
> off.  When people came in this morning (Monday) they noticed that all file
> activity was very slow,  with one particular user having severe problems.
> When I looked in the log file for that PC, I found the oplock errors.

	Ok, a suggestion for both old and new sambas:
	if people are competing with each other for
	the same files, then turning oplocks off
	will improve performance. If not, it will
	reduce performance.

	"Opportunistic locks" allow local caching
	of files on the client. If someone tries to
	open a cached file, they hit the lock,
	discover that some other client machine
	has opportunistically  cached it, and send
	a notification "put that file back on the
	server, you!", wait for it to happen, and
	only then get to open it using record locks.

	If this is the way your app wants to run (i.e.,
	it's has a database-like behavior) you don't
	want oplocks. If your app wants to lock the
	whole file, edit it and write the whole thing
	back, AND if there is little competition
	between users for the same file, then you
	want oplocks.

	Of course, you want to experiment during quiet
	periods (:-))

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com