Question on substitutions in smb.conf

Paul Baumgarten paul at bauma.com.au
Mon Jan 14 22:32:04 GMT 2002

Hi all

Just signed onto the samba mailing list!  Have been using samba since I
migrated our servers over to linux about 3 years.  Unfortunately our clients
are still all wintel boxes... With the advent of W2K and its profiles I was
planning on setting up multple samba configurations using the "config file="
or "include=" parameters in the smb.conf file.

In the process of setting up my server I seem to have run into some problems
with the standard substitutions.  I was wanting to setup samba to load a
different configuration based on the primary group of the user (ie either %g
or %G), however these subsitutions don't appear to be getting resolved.

In my efforts to get it working I resorted to creating a share with some
substitution fields in the comment to see what results they were returning.
The following is a sample of what my conf file had: "comment = %u %U %g %G
%m".  This produced the following comment when viewed through Windows
Explorer: "%u paulb %g %G phixx".  It appears as though %u, %g, %G aren't
working.

I'm assuming that this would be a known problem.  I was wondering if there
is a fix anyone knows of?  I am using samba 2.2.1a-4 (as provided with
RH7.2)... Would installing the latest version solve the problem?

TIA

Paul Baumgarten
Information Technology Manager
Kingsway Christian College