Conf that works for samba-2.2.1a-32 doesn't work for samba-2.2.0a-0 - any idea why?

JW wilson at claborn.net
Mon Jan 14 15:50:41 GMT 2002

Hello,

I had recently set up a remote server with a configuration that only has 1 share, accessible by one user from only a few allowed hosts. It worked great and I could access the share by typing the following into WIn2k's file manager:

\\<hostname or IP address here, both work>\webhome

I would be asked for a username/password and it worked great. I should perhaps point out that this box was running SuSE Linux 7.3, samba-2.2.1a-32

Unfortunately that computer has hardware issues, so I'm trying to move the setup to another computer, which is running SuSE Linux 7.2, samba-2.2.0a-0. I diffed the working smb.conf to the 7.2 computer's default smb.conf, and since I didn't see anything different, I just moved the default conf out of the way and used the working conf the way it was, with the exception of changing the netbios name.

However on the new server when I try to connect to it in exactly the same manner as I connected to the old server, Windows (after pausing for a moment) gives me the following error:

"Windows cannot find '\\<the_servername>\webhome'. Please check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search."

I get this error whether I use the hostname or the IP address, and I did check the DNS on the hostname - it's fine.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why a conf that works on the first servers doesn't work on the new server (remember, the "new" server is actually running older software)

Thanks.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com