Enabling SWAT

Gaurang Pandya gaubrig at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 13:39:09 GMT 2002

 Did it worked? I dont think it will.
Because(as far as I know)  the encryption performed by smbpasswd is different than passwd.
If that is the case unix will read passwd file which will be nothing but smbpasswd file.
Which has different encryption techinique and unix will intrepret it other way or may not even intrepret it!!
So dont think that is wise idea.
The best idea is to write a script pref. in high level language like c or c++ which wil make it
job easier and efficient.
Gaurang.
  Christian Barth <barth at cck.uni-kl.de> wrote: > That allows clients to change their passwords from a Windows client, and
> have the UNIX password updated automatically. I need it to go the other
> way...when the UNIX password is changed, the smbpasswd entry is
> automatically updated.
How do you change the Unix password? What I have done was to rename
/usr/bin/passwd to /usr/bin/passwd.unix, include passwd.unix in the
password chat and set up /usr/bin/passwd to be a link to
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd. Only root has to be carefull when
changing the passwords.

Christian

> On Monday, January 14, 2002, at 08:19 AM, Gaurang Pandya wrote:
>
> > This boolean parameter controlls whether Samba attempts to synchronise
> > the UNIX password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password
> > in the smbpasswd file is changed. If this is set to true the 'passwd
> > program' program is called *AS ROOT* - to allow the new UNIX password
> > to be set without access to the old UNIX password (as the SMB password
> > has change code has no access to the old password cleartext, only the
> > new). By default this is set to false.
> >

> <><
> Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager
> Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services
> Tel 979.458.1839 * Fax 979.845.2157 * Hip 979.229.4323
> PGP public key available at
>
> "The patriot hates to admit his beloved countrymen have gone trashy
> around him, but the honest American patriot today has no choice." (Barry
> Farber)

_(_)_ wWWWw _