UNIX and SMB uids do not match

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Jan 14 11:59:14 GMT 2002

Hello Tod,
In the message

getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user test, uid 1021

the uid 1021 being referred to is being read FROM the smbpasswd file, which
clearly conflicts with what you say you SEE in your /etc/samba/smbpasswd
file - so maybe samba is using a different smbpasswd file than you think...
Try the following; grep you smbpasswd file for the user 'test' and remove
any entry for this. Note the datestamp on the smbpasswd file you edited.
Now wait a couple of minutes, and RE-ADD the user using the smbpasswd
command, and verify
that the correct user is added to that file.  Also stop and start smbd, with
log level = 10 and check to see what location smbd is looking for the
smbpasswd file...

Hope this helps,
Don