UNIX and SMB uids do not match

Wiederholt, Tod Tod.Wiederholt at McKesson.com
Mon Jan 14 10:57:30 GMT 2002

I have made the configuration changes that you suggested and still no
luck, any other thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kohei Yoshida [ mailto:kyoshida at mesco.com
<mailto:kyoshida at mesco.com> ]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 12:30 PM
To: Wiederholt, Tod
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: UNIX and SMB uids do not match

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 11:58, Wiederholt, Tod wrote:
> To all,
>
> I am attempting to add a user to my Samba server and after creating
the
> system ID "test" on the server, I create the user in the smbpasswd
file.
> To do so, I use "smbpasswd -a test".  Once this is complete, I verify
> that the uid in the /etc/passwd file and in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> file are the same:
>
> test:x:1023:1024::/home/test:/bin/bash

test:1023:2D5545077D7B7D2AAAD3B435B51404EE:7C53CFA5EA7D0F9B3B968AA0FB51A

> 3F5:[U
>         ]:LCT-3C42EFFE:
>
> However, when I attempt to connect to the server I receive an error in

> the logs:
>
> Domain=[HBOCD01]  NativeOS=[Windows 2000 2195] NativeLanMan=[Windows
> 2000 5.0]
> sesssetupX:name=[test]
> getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user test, uid 1021
> Error : UNIX and SMB uids in password files do not match for user
> 'test'!
> NT Password did not match for user 'test' ! Defaulting to Lanman
> getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user test, uid 1021
> Error : UNIX and SMB uids in password files do not match for user
> 'test'!
> Rejecting user 'test': authentication failed
> 32 bit error packet at line 629 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
eclass=c000006d
> [Error:
> Unknown error (109,49152)]
> error string = No such file or directory
>
> My smb.conf file:
>
> [global]
>
>    security = user
>    workgroup = TRANSACTIONS
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    password server = *
>    server string = Samba Server
>    case sensitive = yes
>    preserve case = yes
>    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>    log level = 3
>    max log size = 50
>
> #============================ Share Definitions
> ==============================
>
> # This one is useful for people to share files
> [tmp]
>    comment = Temporary file space
>    path = /tmp
>    read only = no
>    public = yes
>

> Can someone help with this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tod Wiederholt
> tod.wiederholt at mckesson.com

There is a couple of things I would do if it were me.

- Set the case sensitive to no.  Setting it to yes is a not-so-good
practice as file names are treated in a case-incensitive manner under
Windows.  The default is no.

- Empty the value of the password server.  This parameter is not so
useful unless the security is set to either server or domain.  If the
security is set to user, as in your case, you don't need to use this
parameter.

I would do these things first just to make sure that they are not the
cause of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Kohei