workgroups with samba virtual server

Martin Rusko rusko at kam.vm.stuba.sk
Mon Jan 14 10:44:02 GMT 2002

Hi Emeric,
how did you set virtual servers? By "netbios aliases" option?
Well, consider to use IP aliasing for setting more than one IP addresses for
your network card, then you have to start multiple samba servers with
different config files. You can do that by using command line switch "-s
/another/config/file" for smbd and nmbd. Have a look into man page.

What is important is, that you will use parameters "interfaces" and "bind
interfaces only" in your different config files. For example:
---smb.apple.conf---
[global]
  workgroup = fruits
  netbios name = apple
  interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.1
  bind interfaces only = yes
---------------------

---smb.carrot.conf----
[global]
  workgroup = vegetables
  netbios name = carrot
  interfaces = 192.168.1.2
  bind interfaces only = yes
---------------------

Note: Consult man page of smb.conf, why I had to add localhost address
into interfaces parameter of the first config file.

And then:
# /usr/local/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.apple.conf
# /usr/local/nmbd -D -s  /etc/samba/smb.apple.conf
# /usr/local/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.carrot.conf
# /usr/local/nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.carrot.conf

After that, you should see on your network two different servers, belonging to
different workgroups, but physically on the same hardware. Currently I'm
working with one Dell PowerEdge server running in such scenario, but it is
not completely tested. One of virtual servers has also set security = user and
second has security = server and "password server = first_server". But I've
seen a lot of errors about write_socket_data: Broken pipe in second's virtual
server log files. So if I will find, how to get rid of this messages, it will be
perfect!! ;-)

      Have a nice day...

             mARTin

On 14 Jan 02, at 17:02, emeric jarnier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> anyone knows when it will be possible to set multiple workgroups using
> multiple samba virtual servers??
> It would really be useful.
> By the way if anyone has ever gone over this problem, please share...
> I have a samba server for about 100 computers and more than 500 acounts.
> I plan to try to make some rooms only available for some users.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Emeric Jarnier
>
> Crir Antenne Annecienne
> UFR ATE Bureau 208
> Tel : 04-50-09-24-84
>

> --

Martin Rusko
PhD student
Slovak Technical University
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Automation
e-mail: rusko at kam.vm.stuba.sk
mobile: +421 903 246698
--
motto: We are Microsoft! Resistance is futile.
       Open your source code and prepare for assimilation.