workgroups with samba virtual server

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Jan 14 10:43:02 GMT 2002

emeric jarnier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> anyone knows when it will be possible to set multiple workgroups using
> multiple samba virtual servers??
> It would really be useful.
> By the way if anyone has ever gone over this problem, please share...
> I have a samba server for about 100 computers and more than 500 acounts.
> I plan to try to make some rooms only available for some users.

	That would require a very large source change:
	it's arguabley easier to run seperate servers
	for each workgroup.

	From memory, you need to start multiple
	pairs of smbd and nmbd, with the
	-l <log file> and -s <conf file> options
	set.  The conf files will need to
	specify some different things, too,
	such as, for example, username map.

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com