UNIX and SMB uids do not match

Wiederholt, Tod Tod.Wiederholt at McKesson.com
Mon Jan 14 09:27:54 GMT 2002

To all,

I am attempting to add a user to my Samba server and after creating the
system ID "test" on the server, I create the user in the smbpasswd file.
To do so, I use "smbpasswd -a test".  Once this is complete, I verify
that the uid in the /etc/passwd file and in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
file are the same:

test:x:1023:1024::/home/test:/bin/bash

test:1023:2D5545077D7B7D2AAAD3B435B51404EE:7C53CFA5EA7D0F9B3B968AA0FB51A
3F5:[U
        ]:LCT-3C42EFFE:

However, when I attempt to connect to the server I receive an error in
the logs:

Domain=[HBOCD01]  NativeOS=[Windows 2000 2195] NativeLanMan=[Windows
2000 5.0]
sesssetupX:name=[test]
getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user test, uid 1021
Error : UNIX and SMB uids in password files do not match for user
'test'!
NT Password did not match for user 'test' ! Defaulting to Lanman
getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user test, uid 1021
Error : UNIX and SMB uids in password files do not match for user
'test'!
Rejecting user 'test': authentication failed
32 bit error packet at line 629 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=c000006d
[Error:
Unknown error (109,49152)]
error string = No such file or directory

My smb.conf file:

[global]

   security = user
   workgroup = TRANSACTIONS
   encrypt passwords = yes
   password server = *
   server string = Samba Server
   case sensitive = yes
   preserve case = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   log level = 3
   max log size = 50

==============================

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no