Help: Question regarding accessing Samba

Gourgy, Mona Mona.Gourgy at stelco.ca
Mon Jan 14 07:28:33 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have sent this e-mail last week, but I didn't get any responses.
Hopefully I hear back from someone soon.

I have configured samba on our HP-UX 11.0 server with hptest as the server
name.  I used the smb.conf file and tested using testparm.

To start the smb daemons, I used the following commands:

/opt/samba/bin/smbd -D
/opt/samba/bin/nmbd -D

Finally, I tested the samba daemons using:  smbclient -U% -L hptest

All of this seems to run okay.  The problem is that I cannot see the samba
server from Network Neighborhood in the hptest folder.  I don't even know
how to see it from the HP server.  I'm running on Windows 2000, but I used
your Windows NT documentation to setup my PC.  My PC is pingable and DNS and
WINS are working properly.  I tried to connect using: Start, Run, \\hptest,
but I get the following error message:  The filename, directory name, or
volume label syntax is incorrect.  Can you please give me some direction to
what I might be doing wrong?  If there is any additional information you
need to know about my settings, please let me know.  Thanks for your time
and help.

Mona Gourgy
Information Systems
Stelco Inc.