Question regarding accessing Samba / please respond

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Jan 14 07:25:51 GMT 2002

"Gourgy, Mona" wrote:
> Finally, I tested the samba daemons using:  smbclient -U% -L hptest
> All of this seems to run okay.  The problem is that I cannot see the samba
> server from Network Neighborhood in the hptest folder.

	Ok, you've tested about half of the browsing
	mechanism, a more complete set of tesing steps
	is available at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch09_02.html
	and in your doc/htmldocs/using_samba directory.

	Browsing is the last part of the section,
	because
	- it's **wierd**
	- it depends on much of the preceding material.

	It only takes about 10 minutes to do the whole test
	sequence, so I generally start from the beginning
	even when I'm sure I know what's wrong, as my
	initial guess is often wrong (and I wrote the
	section!)

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com