Summary of "encrypted and cleartext password in the same time" issue.

Barker, Brian W. BRIAN.W.BARKER at saic.com
Mon Jan 14 05:31:25 GMT 2002

I have been also trying to get my UNIX Samba to work with
both win95 and win2000 and have had this problem with
encrypted vs. not. I don't understand this answer. You
say "All the listed clients will send an encrypted password
if 'encrypt passwords = yes'". But the 'encrypt passwords = yes'
is in the config file on my Unix machine, are you saying that
this will automatically make my Win95 machine send an encrypted
password? I find this hard to believe but maybe it is so. What do you
mean the clients will permit a security downgrade if the server
requests it? Can you elaborate? Maybe Martin understands...

Brian W. Barker
SAIC
Rosslyn, VA