samba printing help pls :)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Jan 14 04:24:02 GMT 2002

when all else fails, look in into the samba log for clues.
One question is: Are the print jobs being transferred from your clients to
your server? Samba is very simple in how it provides printing services. Your
client simply transfers the job to the server, which then invokes lpr to
print it. You may have to set up a test queue to trouble shoot this with
something like this:

[test]
	comment =Test queue
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168. <--adjust for your situation
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng  <---be sure to use the right one
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Ptest
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Ptest %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold z53 %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release z53 %j
	print command = echo "Tried to print %s" > /tmp/junk.%s <--Special "print" command

I haven't tried this test queue out for a while, so I hope it works.
Look for the print job in /tmp.  This doesn't need a print cap
entry, I THINK, to work. Of course, stop/restart samba before testing this.

Joel