(not so) simple tar

André Bialojahn andre.bialojahn--samba at exmail.de
Sun Jan 13 21:56:03 GMT 2002

From: 	Gary Stainburn[SMTP:gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk]
Sent: 	Sunday, 13. January 2002 13:16

Hi, Gary.

I'm just not certain, whether this one will help you, but for me
(SuSE 6.1, Samba 2.0.3, NT4SP6a) this works fine:

smbtar -s <servername> -x I$ -u Administrator -d "\winnt\profiles
\andre.000\Eigene Dateien" -p <password>

As you might have already gotten from smbtar's output, "-x" specifies
the share to connect to. "I$" is the administrative standard-share
for drive I which, in my case, is my NT-%SYSTEMROOT%.
I dunno about the existence of this kind of shares on 9Xs, since
I always avoided those to my best.

And the "Eigene Dateien" equals your "My Documents". ;-)

> I've got a simple backup problem that I'm struggling with and could
> do with somone providing me with a light bulb for over my head.

I just don't know, how it might work with a win-share mounted
to a linux-FS, but tar shouldn't be so much different.

OBTW: Have you tried to chdir to the parent of "My Documents",
type "cd My" and then just press <tab> to call the command
completion on the linuxbox?
This might yield some hints on how to escape this correctly.

Saving the Desktop in a restoreable way might be just a little bit
more challenging, if it comes to saving the user's preferences,
the iconpositions aso. (At least, it is under NT, since the files
are locked, when the user is logged in.)
You might want to have a look at the ressource-kit's
"regsave" (IIRC) - a commandline based registry2file-tool which
enables you to save complete reghives or just a few branches
(HKCurrentUser, I assume) to an ASCII-File.

HTH.

Regards,
André