Question about MACHINE.SID

Gaurang Pandya gaubrig at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 10:48:02 GMT 2002

 Thanks Jerry & Scott. :-)
Gaurang.
  "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote: On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Gaurang Pandya wrote:

> even that case the MACHINE.SID file will be taken for use only from
> directory where smbpasswd file is located is it?

We use the location of the smbpasswd file to define
a "private directory". See the following from
param/loadparm.c.

void get_private_directory(pstring priv_dir)
{
char *p;

*priv_dir = 0;

pstrcpy(priv_dir, lp_smb_passwd_file());

p = strrchr(priv_dir, '/');
if (p) *p = 0;
}

The part I was wrong about was thinking that we had moved
the local MACHINE.SID file into the secrets.tdb. (note that
the domain sid from the PDC when operating in domain mode
security is stored in the secrets.tdb file).

chau, jerry
Hewlett-Packard http://www.hp.com
SAMBA Team http://www.samba.org
-- http://www.plainjoe.org
"Sam's Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed. ISBN 0-672-32269-2