Question about MACHINE.SID

Gaurang Pandya gaubrig at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 10:24:02 GMT 2002

 even that case the MACHINE.SID file will be taken for use only from directory where smbpasswd
file is located is it?
Gaurang.
  "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote: On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Scott Mann wrote:

> We're running samba 2.2.2 and the MACHINE.SID file is a separate
> file when winbindd is used. Further, you can change its location,
> albeit not dynamically. This file is stored in the directory
> specified by "sysconfdir" when configure is run to build samba.

Yeah. You're correct. I was thinking of the machine trust account file
when running in domain mode security. I think we talked about moving
MACHINE.SID into the secrets file, but decided not to. Fuzzy memories.
See passdb/machine_sid.c:pdb_generate_sam_sid() for the details of
what we do.

Thanks for the correction Scott.

cheers, jerry
Hewlett-Packard http://www.hp.com
SAMBA Team http://www.samba.org
-- http://www.plainjoe.org
"Sam's Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed. ISBN 0-672-32269-2