users

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Sun Jan 13 07:55:09 GMT 2002

> Christian Barth wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
> > >          I have a windows 2000 user who is say logged in as user paul
> > > with password sunny and has access to certain samba shares on a linux
> > > server. Most people in the office knows paul password for whatever
> > > reason but paul wants to have his own private share only accessable to
> > > him with a password that he only knows. So I set up another user on the
> > > linux box called paul2 with a new password. Paul now tries to access the
> > > private share logged in as paul on his windows machine and gets prompted
> > > for a username and password. So paul types in paul2 and the new password
> > > and gets the message "the credentials supplied conflicts with an
> > > existing set of credentials". I need paul logged in as paul on the
> > > windows machine to have access to paul2 stuff without having to create a
> > > new user or log out of paul on the windows machine. Please help, Chris.
> > I know this problem from NT:
> > NT can only connect to one server as one user at a time, not samba
> > issiue. But If paul connects to "server" and paul2 connects to
> > "nummeric IP of the server" (for example "\\123.246.678.901\paul2")
> > than NT thinks it is takling to two servers and it works.
> >
> > Christian

> I thank you for your quick response. I am still not getting this to work.
> This is what I did. I edited the lmhosts file on the windows 2000 box and put
> in the lines
>
> net use \\servername\share1 /user:paul
> net use \\192.168.1.1\share2 /user:paul2
>
> I also created the user paul2 on the windows 2000 box as well(is this
> needed?) Now logged in as paul I tried to access share2 and was prompted for
> a user and passwd and entered paul2 and the passwd and still no luck. Is
> there something I did wrong or did not do? Thanks, Chris.

First: Please answer to the whole list, there are a couple of
helpfull guys.

I guess the error message has changed and you now get "wrong
password"? What have you changed in the lmhosts file. Leave it empty
if you do not have browsing problems. User paul2 should not be needed
on the w2k box, but on the sambe server. Have you set him up
correctly? Can you connect with his name and password when there is
no other connection? What happens if you do:

net use \\server\share1 /user:paul
net use \\192.168.1.1\share1 /user:chris

??

Christian