smbd memoy leak (Samba 2.2.2) - Take 2

Mark Shearar samba at penguin.za.org
Sun Jan 13 05:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi there, being new to this list I decided to first search the archives
and downloaded the entire tarball to search for any clues to my
predicament.  While there were lots of similar problems, not one of the
solutions has worked for me.

I'm currently running Samba 2.2.2 (configured with PAM and smbmount
only) and compiled and running on a RedHat 7.2 server (upgraded from RH
7.1) with a custom built kernel 2.4.7 (RedHat doesn't seem to like any
of the later kernels??!).

The smbd process seems to have a runaway memory leak.  In 12 hours it
grows to over 250Mb and within 3 days will have used up my entire 1Gb of
swap space.  Now, I've looked at the shares issues and printer issues
etc, but when you consider that I have only one printer shared (and I
tried it with the printer disabled as well) and 10 shares, I don't think
that can be a problem.  In terms of users I have the grand total of 7
with only 4 active since the festive season began.  I don't think it's
the winbindd process as I don't see it running anywhere and I've never
manually loaded it.

The hardware is an AMD K6-2 450 with 128Mb RAM which should be adequate
for my purposes.  (I have a P75 with 32 or 64Mb serving over 20 users on
a client's site and it works like a dream!)

Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.