Problem with locking database:

Dan Serban dserban at skibc.com
Sat Jan 12 15:04:21 GMT 2002

I have previously played with Samba before and have hit a few snags in
the past.  Now I'm feeling a bit retarded because you'd figure that I'd
learn from these experiences and stop posting to such lists/groups.
 Alas.. no.. :)  I have recently freshly installed RH 7.2 on a
soon-to-be production internal server.  I successfully installed it with
Samba support to handle the internal file traffic.  The included version
with RH7.2 is 2.2.1a, had it up and it ran perfectly, no problems. I
then decided to go with the latest version 2.2.2 from rpmfind.net and
upgrade the current install.  I didn't want to break a good thing while
it was running :).  At that point, seemingly because they were rawhide
packages (mostly unstable/untested) my Samba install broke.  You could
see the machine on the net, but could no longer browse the shares.  The
only errror I've received to date follows and it's created by smbstatus:

Samba version 2.2.2
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting

Kind of frustrated, I got brave and decided to snatch the source,
compile and make sure that all the settings those guys at Red-Hat set
Samba up with were optimal :).  I successfully compiled 2.2.2 and it
started up fine.  Though experiencing the same problem with smbstatus.

So I've searched high and low about the nature of these errors and
started playing with the samba locking dirs.  I explicitly set:

lock directory = /var/lock/samba

And it would start fine, the machine was now viewable from a
workstation, though you couldn't browse the shares still.  After much
mulling, and massaging I decided to cut my losses and revert back to the
original install that RH7.2 set me up with.  I removed the source based
install and set it up from the RPMS provided on the discs (2.2.1a).  Now
I'm still experiencing the same problem and well... I'm kind of stumped,
I can't assume that it's a permisssions issue since I've deleted
everything in the /var/lock/samba dir, and restarted samba, the files in
the directory were successfully re-created.

Somewhere my config is messed up, though I have no idea where to look.
 I'm assuming that the 2.2.2 rawhide rpms had installed some kind of
file/setting that is now givin' me bad vibes :).

I'd certainly appreciate any input from anyone on this matter.

Dan Serban